Thursday 7 April 2011

Rockmelon

Rockmelon is also known as cantaloupe and musk melon. The scientific name is Cucumis melo, from Cucurbitaceae family. It has lots of varieties which are include nearly all melons and squash. Since rockmelons have lots of varieties, I will talk about the varieties which are available in Malaysia, so far.


Variety Glamour


SAKATA Glamour seeds packaging

Glamour is the most common variety in Malaysia. When we talk about rockmelon, picture of Glamour will appear in our minds. It has light green obvious netting on the skin and sweet orange crunchy flesh.



 Golden Langkawi

KNOWN-YOU SEED Golden Langkawi seeds packaging


Golden Langkawi is my favourite rockmelon because it has bright yellow colour and most of the time sweeter than Glamour. It has white crunchy flesh. My partner said, our former prime minister, Tun Dr. Mahathir named this variety.


So far, this two is the most common variety I can named. Of course, there are other variety such as Ai Xiang, Kuning Jati, Gordes, Eagle, Syaron, Emerald Green and so on but these variety are not widely commercialized in Malaysia. I myself have taste some of them and I really wanted to share with everyone. I wondered how can we market these marvelous and versatile fruits..


 Gordes

Kuning Jati

Now, I do have Glamour and Golden Langkawi at my farm and I will sell them myself. The toughest part is when it comes to marketing, I have to educate my clients about my rockmelons and how different they are compare to honeydew. It will need a lot of efforts and very tiring, but in the end, when satisfaction showed on their faces, I felt blessed. For me, sharing knowledge is the most important thing. When you gain knowledge and you educate someone else, you will become a better person. That kind of experience you will faced if only you sell your products straight to the end users. If you are depending to the wholesalers, that's the different story..  : )

11 comments:

  1. hai saya peminat dr rozmey 2 alam

    ReplyDelete
  2. ye ke? ada tgk movie nyer ke..

    ReplyDelete
  3. salam.. bule emailkan kepada saya maklumat yg lbh terperinci mengenai rock melon n sistem fertigasi.. saya sedng membuat final year projek saya.. fattenjimale@yahoo.com .. tq..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello. I am looking for information about the role of pollinators in melon planting. Can you please contact me so that I can ask you for some info? Thanks. yaohua@putra.upm.edu.my

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. do this type of melon have sales in kota kinabalu sabah??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm so sorry i'm not sure about it. as far as i know we dont have enough supplies in peninsular and all rockmelon suppliers tend to sell their melons in klang valley. only a few able to export.

      Delete
  6. mane boleh saye dpat benih rock melon glamour?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, do you know where i can purchase melon seeds kuning jati variety in malaysia?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to buy Glamour Rock melon seeds. I need 600 seeds for my nect planting. Do you supply such seeds? Pls contact me at my e-mail address or Whatsapp me at my no. 0138861795

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to buy Glamour Rock melon seeds. I need 600 seeds for my nect planting. Do you supply such seeds? Pls contact me plz my mobile no +60189180459

    ReplyDelete